Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Four Types of College Students

I had an idea awhile back. I've been working on the concept in my head and I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. I'm basing it off of what I heard in the dorms and my thoughts about it. I'm calling it "The Four Types".

The Four Types:
1) cognition
2) professional
3) society told me college is good.
4) remove the glass ceiling.

Cognition Motivation:
The cognition based learner cares about learning. For him/her it is all about figuring out the world around them. This group wants answers to the big questions in life.

Professional Motivation:
The professional based learner is not there to answer the big questions in life (why we a here, what is the meaning of life, etc.) They are in College because the degree is how they get into their field. Nurses, Engineers, and Business majors are prime examples.

Society Told Me Motivation:
Society told me to go to College people are in College due to the increased social importance on advanced schooling in our society, but tend to have no idea what they are doing.

Remove the Glass Ceiling:
Remove the glass ceiling leaner is not interested in learning about the big questions or anything of that nature. They fully understand that they cannot move up in their careers without the degree. Society has put a glass ceiling on their advancement and they are trying to remove the glass ceiling.

I am most interested in your thoughts about my concept. What do you think? Did I miss anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment